FEEFHS The Federation of East European Family History Societies Home Page | Resource Directory

Rev. J.M. Trunk - Arizona 1912

Slovenia Home Page

© Copyright 1996, Slovenian Genealogy Society International, all rights reserved

Rev. Trunk translation index

Provided by and courtesy of Al Peterlin, President, Slovenian Genealogy Society International

This Rev. J.M. Trunk text was published originally in 1912 as Part 8, History of Slovene Communities, contains significant genealogical information about Slovenian immigrants, the places they lived, the organizations they formed, and the churches they attended.

Translators for the Slovenian Genealogy Society have been working to translate many texts published early in the 1900s that contain significant genealogical information. Our translators are not professional linguists, and they do not complete a translation with rigorous academic oversight. The goal of our translation projects is to make information available to the American descendants of Slovenian immigrants. If you believe we have made serious errors in translation, please contact us and volunteer your time to us in order to make the corrections. We strive to do good work; we are always willing to correct errors to the extent we can; and we ask others to join us in this worthwhile endeavor.

The Slovenian Genealogy Society International collects church histories. Readers with information on Slovenes in the communities listed, the churches mentioned, or other information on Slovenes, can contact the Society at 52 Old Farm Road, Camp Hill, Pa 17011. The society accepts donations of Slovene books, texts, and publications.

Beginning of translated text:


Bisbee: Mr. Zagorc wrote to me that the first settler in this community was Fr. Piletic; others followed, now six families and about 45 single men live here. All came from Dolenjska and work in the coal mines; four of them have farms. There are no church services in the Slovene language; they go to the Irish church. There are two Societies there: the Lodge of St. Lucia and the Lodge of St. Alloysius.

Globe: J. Pavlic wrote: "Until 1874 only Indians lived here. The first white settler came here in 1874 - his name was Ransom. Now the population is 7,083 and most men work in the copper mines. There are many workers from Montenegro and Dalmatia and about 25 Slovenes. There are six Slovene families here. They are members of JSPZ with headquarters in Chicago.

"Because of the extreme heat and water in the mines, the work is very difficult; it is a hell. There is no use to leave this place as there are hardly any better places to be found. Some emigrants curse America, some curse Christopher Columbus, other curse the rich people or even their parents. Slovenes are settling on farms where at least the air is clean."

Miami: Six Slovenes work in the mines. Some Slovenes can be found in Douglas, Lowell and Piertleville, but there are no permanent jobs.

FEEFHS The Federation of East European Family History Societies Home Page | Resource Directory

Copyright © 1995-2008 FEEFHS. All Rights Reserved.