© Copyright 1996, Slovenian Genealogy Society International, all rights
Rev. Trunk translation index
Provided by and courtesy of Al Peterlin, President, Slovenian Genealogy Society International
This Rev. J.M. Trunk text was published originally in 1912 as Part 8, History of Slovene Communities, contains significant genealogical information about Slovenian immigrants, the places they lived, the organizations they formed, and the churches they attended.
Translators for the Slovenian Genealogy Society have been working to translate many texts published early in the 1900s that contain significant genealogical information. Our translators are not professional linguists, and they do not complete a translation with rigorous academic oversight. The goal of our translation projects is to make information available to the American descendants of Slovenian immigrants. If you believe we have made serious errors in translation, please contact us and volunteer your time to us in order to make the corrections. We strive to do good work; we are always willing to correct errors to the extent we can; and we ask others to join us in this worthwhile endeavor.
The Slovenian Genealogy Society International collects church histories. Readers with information on Slovenes in the communities listed, the churches mentioned, or other information on Slovenes, can contact the Society at 52 Old Farm Road, Camp Hill, Pa 17011. The society accepts donations of Slovene books, texts, and publications.
Beginning of translated text:
Alta. In the coal mine abut 15 single men work. Their work is very hard.
Bingham Canyon. Around 1900 some 10 Slovene families land 25 single men came here as reported by Mr. A. Klop. Among the first Slovene immigrants were A. Prijatelj, J. and Juri Stelem. F. Skoda and J. Prijanovic. They came from the Lower Carniola region (Dolenjska). They have found work in the copper mines. The religious situation is a poor one. They worship in the Irish church and the children attend public schools. There are no benefit societies in the community.
Castle Gate. Some years ago there were many Slovenes here who worked in the coal mines, but most of them have left. Only a few families remain here. The community is not an attractive one, but rather picturesque. It is surrounded by rock (J.A. Terbovec)
Garfield. I the smelts some Slovenes are employed, but there are more Croatians and Serbians working here.
Hayden. Eight Slovene families have been farming on the prosperous farms in the community.
Midvale. The community is rather pretty. It is situated admist orchards and fields. Some Slovenes work in the smelts. They have organized Lodge #86 of St. Joseph JSKJ.
Murray. In 1903 some Slovenes came here from Colorado. now there are about 50 Slovenes with 20 families as reported by Mr. I. Kasteelic. They have found work in the smelts. Among the pioneers who came here were J. Music, F. Hofman and J. Kamnikar. The religious situation is mediocre. As for the church, the situation is a poor one. They attended the church in Salt Lake City. In 1904 the Sts. Peter and Paul Lodge #51 of the JSKJ was founded by J. Snneler, J. Kastelic, J. Kamnikar and S. Mallnar. At the present time 36 men and 13 women are enrolled in it.
Park City. Some years ago many Slovenes worked in the copper mines, but most of them have left the community.
Salt Lake City. The Slovene immigrant G. F. Blatnik from Dobro Polje has been operating thee hotel "Yugoslav Home". There are no residents of Slovene descent here, but the Slovene immigrants from Murray, Midvale, Bingham Canyon, Park City and Silver City are frequent visitors of the community.
Scofield. The community is a nice one. It is situated on a hill. There are about 100 Slovene immigrants here. Most of them came from Gorenjska (the Upper Carniola) or Stria (Sstajerska) about 8 years ago. They work in the mines. There are a few fraternal organizations and the singing society "The Nightingale from Gorenjska". When a Slovene coworker passes away, all the Slovenes go together to confession.
The Slovenes get married in Salt Lake City, but the priest comes to Scofield to baptize the babies and bury the dead. Most of the time the marriages are performed by the Bishop with the aid of an interpreter and many a Slovene couple have been honored that way. In Europe it was customary for only princes and princesses to be married by a Bishop. Not far away is the community of Clear Creek where about 20 Slovenes have bound their home. (M. Pogorelc)
Silver City and Tocele. Many Slovenes work in the smelts (A.J. Terbovec).
Sunny Side. The community is situated on an elevation. It is 154 miles from Salt Lake City. Among the rocks only small bushes and wormwood grow. There is no soil suitable for farming, but under the surface there are rich coal mines where some 100 Slovenes have found work. They have been enrolled in some fraternal organizations, among which is the KSKJ Lodge #100 of St. George. They belong to the parish in Salt lake City. The English priest visits them and many families own their homes.
Utah Mine. It is a small, rather new community. Some families have their own homes. About 20 Slovenes work in the mines. The community is surrounded by woody hills. The summers are really nice here. (J. A. Terbovec)
Winterquarters. In 1903 the first Slovenes came here from Kamnik, as reported by Mr. Louis Blazic. Among the first settlers there were L. Pistotnik, L. Blazic, P. Bizjak, J. Gril and others. There are about 300 Slovenes here and the men work in the mines. There are no Slovene religious services. They attend services in Salt Lake City and the children attend public schools. On 15 September 1911, P. Meda, M. and L. Kos, J. Zajec, J. Koprivsek, L. Strnad, J. Inkret and A. Vidmar founded the Slovene Singing Society.