© copyright 1996 by ZVA and FEEFHS; all rights reserved
RELIGIOUS BACKGROUND: For most of its history, Zichydorf had a population of about 3000. About 85% to 90% were German Catholics. We also know from an inventory of microfilms for Banat Church Registers in the Library of the Institute for Foreign Relations that Zichydorf parish includes at least three neighboring villages.
Roman Catholic Churches: The filial churches/villages are:
1. Georgshausen (German) ........ Gyorgyhaza (Hungarian) ........ Velika Greda (Serb)
2. Margita (German) ...................... Nagymargita (Hungarian) ........ Margita (Serb)
3. Urmenhausen (German) ........ Urmenyhaza (Hungarian) ........Jermenovci (Serb)
FHL Microfilms: The registration of parish and vital statistics records for Zichydorf and its filial parishes began in 1789. FHL microfilms with parish records for Zichydorf can be ordered on loan for viewing at your nearest Family History Center (FHC) as follows:
FHL Microfilm #1190365
- Christening records (12 Jul 1789 - 31 Dec 1842)
- Marriage records (5 Oct 1789 - 7 Jul 1828)
- Deaths (25 Aug 1789 - 24 Dec 1851)
Hence, the Zichydorf Village Association (ZVA) is concerned with genealogical research that also includes the villages of Georgshausen, Margita, and Urmenhausen.