The purpose of the conference Ukrainian Archival Collections in Canada: Preserving the Past, Building the Future is to bring together researchers, archivists, curators, collection managers, and other custodians of Ukrainian Canadian archival collections in order to start a conversation among stewards of Ukrainian cultural documentary heritage. This conference aims to increase awareness about Ukrainian heritage collections in Canada, survey problem areas and needs of archival collections. It will help establish connections and collaboration among the institutions, will provide an opportunity to share knowledge and successes and, therefore, improve their sustainability.
The conference is organized by the Kule Folklore Centre at the University of Alberta and its Friends Society in cooperation with the Canadian Institute of Ukrainian Studies at the University of Alberta.
The goals of the conference are:
- To understand who has what type of archival records, their scope and extent, and how they can be accessed.
- To introduce those who are preserving archival records to each other, and to open up a way to share information among them.
- To develop a network for cooperation and sharing of information.
- To provide an understanding of available resources (preservation and conservation assistance, funding sources, archival societies as support systems, researcher needs).
- To raise awareness of the value of archives as institutions and as documentary records.
Information professionals, practitioners, community leaders, researchers, and others in charge of or interested in Ukrainian Canadian archival heritage are invited to submit proposals relating to theoretical and practical issues of Ukrainian Canadian archives from a variety of perspectives. Contributions on various issues of acquisition, preservation, access, and networking are particularly invited. Other topics will be considered as well. Abstracts of 300-words and a short bio should be submitted to email@example.com by January 15, 2018. Notifications of acceptance will be sent by February 15, 2018.