© copyright 1996, 1997 by Karen Rowe, all rights reserved
Retyped and reformatted by: Karen Rowe
122 West Saunders Avenue
Lincoln, Nebraska 68521-3925
eMail address: email@example.com
St. John Evangelical Lutheran Congregation of Maxfield Township, Bremer County, Iowa was founded on April 24, 1856. Some of its earliest members, who came to Bremer County, Iowa from the Schaumburg area of Cook County, Illinois starting in about 1853, were Friedrich Bruns, Carl Bruns, Christian Wente, Wilhelm Wente, Christian Nevermann, Johann Griese and Christian Kehe. The first pastor of the church was the Reverend N. Volkert, who had been their former pastor in Schaumburg, Illinois.